UN, US, others ask Jonathan to arrest terrorists

THE United Nations, Unite States of America and others in their message to Nigeria as the nation marks its 53rd Independence anniversary have asked President Goodluck Jonathan to arrest violent elements in the country, especially members of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, Empowered Newswire reports.

The US asked the Nigerian government “to find and bring those responsible for this deplorable violence to justice.”

The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, also in a statement from the UN Secretariat late on Monday, called for the “the perpetrators to be swiftly brought to justice.”

The Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans similarly wondered how easy it had become for the terrorists to do damage and “simply vanish into thin air even at a time of emergency rule.”

In a statement from the United States Government, released on Monday night US time, the Americans said,  “As Nigeria prepares to celebrate its 53rd year of independence, the United States stands with all Nigerians to reject the heinous violence that continues to be perpetrated by Boko Haram and other extremist groups. These attacks on innocent civilians have no place in a democratic society.”

“Following last week’s heinous attack in Benisheikh, where more than 160 people were shot and slaughtered, this weekend’s attacks in Yobe State took the lives of more than fifty innocent students and civilians. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in these senseless acts of violence.”

While commiserating with the Nigerian government and the victims’ families, the US government declared, “We encourage the Government of Nigeria to work together with the families of the victims and affected communities to find and bring those responsible for this deplorable violence to justice, and to enhance the protection of civilians to ensure respect for the rule of law.”

The UN statement from its secretariat in New York said, “The Secretary-General strongly condemns the murder of more than 40 students and the wounding of several others by gunmen at the College of Agriculture in Gujba, Yobe State, northeastern Nigeria.

“The Secretary-General calls for the perpetrators to be swiftly brought to justice and for increasing efforts to be taken to prevent similar attacks and ensure adequate protection of civilians.”

Source: www.punchng.com

Share this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *