5 Tips to Help You Hire the Right Divorce Lawyer

5 Tips to Help You Hire the Right Divorce Lawyer
January 5, 2017 Ozair Akhtar
Tips to Help You Hire the Right Divorce Lawyer

Divorces affect more than half of marriages in the United States, so it’s no surprise that the need for the right divorce lawyer is rising every day. More and more people are asking how they can find the best lawyer in the business to get the outcome they want. And since the earliest stages of the process are normally the most stressful and chaotic, many soon-to-be ex-couples don’t know how to make the best choice for them.

This article is going to give you some handy tips for you to choose the best divorce lawyer for your situation. Afterwards, you should be much more prepared to make a good decision. Whether you’re looking for a New Jersey Divorce Attorney or in any other city, these tips are universal in your search.

Finding a lawyer to help with your personal injury

Help You Hire the Right Divorce Lawyer

#1. Get A List of Potential Lawyers Early On

You’ll know when a divorce is in the works in your marriage. It’ll be obvious from conversations with your partner that it’s going to be time soon to get the divorce proceedings going. Once you see the signs of divorce, get your list of potential divorce attorneys going and go ahead and have meetings with some. Since early divorce proceedings are so stressful and time-consuming you may not have the time to make the best decision once the time comes. So, it’s much better to get that screening process started earlier, rather than later.

#2. Specialists Are Always the Way to Go

For a divorce case, you always want to hire a lawyer who is a specialist in the area of family law and divorce. This is the only way you’re going to have someone on your side who knows everything there is to know about divorce. Plus, they’re going to know the judges and other divorce attorneys better than those who are just generalise lawyers.

Tips to Find the Right Divorce Lawyer

#3. Ask Around for The Best Lawyers

This is the hands-down best way to find the perfect divorce lawyer. If you know of any other couples who have recently gotten divorced, speak with them about what they liked in their divorce attorney. You can also speak with other lawyers you know to see if they can recommend you. Word-of-mouth will usually give you more accurate results for your area than Google.

#4. Questions, Questions, And More Questions

So, you’ve gone and found yourself the perfect divorce lawyer and you want to meet with them. What do you do in the meeting? Well, good thing you asked!

Here’s a potential list of questions you can bring into the meeting:

1. How many years having you been in the family law business?
  2. How many cases do you settle on average?
  3. Check on their upfront retainer cost and what that looks like compared to your budget.
  4. Who else in the firm will be working on my case and can I meet them?
  5. Take me through the steps of how you approach a case that comes onto your desk.

If you ask these questions during the meeting and properly screen them, you’ll be able to tell if this divorce lawyer is the right one for you. If they aren’t able to answer the questions to your liking, it’s probably time to move down the list.

Get the Best Divorce Lawyer

Enforcement of Child Support Orders

#5. Your Gut Is Usually Always Right

And that brings us to our last point. Your gut is always going to be right. You know what it’s like to have a gut feeling about something. This doesn’t change when you’re looking for a divorce lawyer. If your gut is telling you that something’s not right with this lawyer, then trust it and move on to more meetings.

Divorces can be pretty messy situations. And when you find yourself in the middle of divorce proceedings, you want someone on your side who’s going to represent your interests properly. That’s why it’s super important for you to get the best divorce lawyer on your case. Follow the above tips and you’re sure to find your dream lawyer!

Comments (26)

1. John Ferrell 2 years ago

I have never thought about listening to my gut when hiring an attorney. When my friend was getting a divorce she wanted to have the right lawyer and she ended out finding one that is really good for her. If I was getting a divorce then I would want to have a lawyer that could help me and get along with me easily.

2. Daryl 2 years ago

Check whether the lawyer you are hiring is a member of professional organizations. This is not the criterion to judge the professional capabilities of an attorney, but it serves as a basic standard checklist of ensuring you are heading in the right direction. BTW, nice article here. Good share!

3. Annika Larson 2 years ago

I’m looking to find a lawyer to help with my divorce and some potential custody problems with the kids. It’s important that I find someone I can trust and rely on to help me with these legalities. Thanks for sharing these questions to ask in a meeting. I hadn’t thought of asking about the steps they take to approach a case. Thanks for sharing!

4. Bernard Clyde 2 years ago

I agree that it’s best to hire a lawyer who specializes in family law. It can be very stressful and confusing to navigate through a divorce situation, especially if you are unfamiliar with the legal process involved. Having a divorce lawyer who specializes in their work can help give you a lot more direction and advice in your unique situation to help you come out of the divorce in the best condition for you.

5. Burt Silver 2 years ago

I like that you mentioned to ask a potential attorney if you can meet anybody else in the firm who will be working on the case. My best friend is going through a divorce, and we are trying to find the right lawyer to help him out. It means a lot to him that he feels comfortable with everybody working on his case.

6. Kyle Winters 2 years ago

I do like that you include a list of question in the article to ask the attorney during the initial consultation. After all, knowing the right questions to ask can be incredibly helpful when you’re trying to choose a divorce attorney in particular. I especially like the questions about how many cases they settle because it can give you a good idea of how successful they are.

7. My brother is going through a divorce, so I need to show him this. I’ve told him that it’s smart to hire a lawyer, and I hope he listens to me. If so, I’ll be sure that he hires a lawyer who specializes in divorce law, like you said.

8. Rachel Lannister 1 year ago

Thank you for these great tips. You mentioned that you should look for an attorney that not only has been practicing for a while, but also has been specifically practicing family law for a few years at least. My brother might be going through a divorce soon and he’ll need some legal representation. If they have handled these kind of cases before, they will likely know how to approach it and know what things will help you get the best result of the case possible.

9. Marcus Coons 1 year ago

I liked when you talked about how you can consult with other lawyers when looking for a good divorce attorney. It makes sense that doing this can help you make sure you get referrals that will be worth your time and can lead you to the best attorney to help you. My parents are getting divorced after so many years of marriage and we want to make sure they find the best attorney to help with their case, so I’ll make sure to share your tips with them.

10. Derek blueford 1 year ago

You are right, don’t hire the one who has little experience, hiring a divorce attorney with little experience can pose a good deal of risk. While they may not be necessarily bad at what they do, they may be ill prepared to handle the complications of your situation. Be cautious about choosing a divorce attorney who just passed the bar.

11. Brynne Jones 1 year ago

I like how you suggested meeting with a potential lawyer and asking them lots of questions. It was helpful that you suggested asking about how long they’ve been in the business, how many cases they’ve settled, and how they plan to take on your case. My brother and his wife decided that it would be best for their family if they get a divorce. It could be beneficial for him to ask a divorce attorney questions before he hires them.

12. Gloria Durst 1 year ago

I agree that you would want to find a family lawyer that is properly specialized. It would make sense to find someone who is experienced and qualified in order to ensure they do the right job. My sister needs a divorce lawyer, so she’ll have to find someone who is properly specialized.

13. Megan 1 year ago

I like that you mentioned selecting an attorney who specializes in divorce. My brother is needing an attorney to handle his divorce. I am going to share your tips with him.

14. Good read. If I was getting a divorce, I would definitely consider hiring a divorce lawyer. I like your tip that your gut is always right. If something feels off, don’t settle and look for more choices. Thanks for sharing!

15. Sarah Lancaster 1 year ago

I really enjoyed how you mentioned asking multiple questions when choosing a lawyer. I know when my aunt divorced she made sure she was getting the best lawyer she could possibly find. If I ever go down this road, I will definitely keep this information in mind.

16. Marina Wellis 1 year ago

I can definitely agree with you in this gut feeling thing, because usually when your guts tell you that something is good or something is wrong, it’s most likely to be correct. Choosing a divorce attorney is never easy, and now that I need one, I want to make sure that I find someone that I can rely on. It’s probably a good idea to go for feelings this time since I’m the client after all. Thanks for sharing these tips!

17. These are some great tips for finding a divorce lawyer. I agree that getting a list of potential lawyers early on is vital. My brother is thinking he may get a divorce in the future, so I’ll tell him the same thing.

18. Callum Palmer 1 year ago

I have to agree with what the article’s said about specialist lawyers being the way to go. After all, a divorce is a pretty big commitment both in terms of time and money. Because of this, you’ll need to find a very experienced divorce attorney to make sure all of the negotiations are taken care of and that you get what you need out of the divorce.

19. Roger Middleton 1 year ago

My brothers family has been going through some things and we’re trying to help them out all we can but I think they might just need a lawyer to help them out in their situation. I liked that you had mentioned that it could be important to look for someone who specializes in the area you’re needing because they’ll know everything there is to know about that topic. We’ll have to do some research and hopefully, we’ll be able to find a family lawyer that can help them in this situation.

20. It was really nice how you suggested asking other people or lawyers for recommendations of a good attorney that can help with my divorce case. My husband and I are planning to have a divorce because of a conflict that we can no longer resolve. I think having a divorce lawyer should be my top priority, and I appreciate how you gave pointers. Thanks!

21. Hannah Neilson 12 months ago

I like how you say that you would want to find out how long a lawyer has been working in family law. It would be good to consider this because it would show their experience. My brother is looking for a divorce lawyer, so he’ll have to find someone who has been working for awhile.

22. Cheap Divorce in AZ 12 months ago

Hiring a divorce lawyer who is qualified for the position is the best bet, a lawyer truly cares about your financial well-being, and is dedicated to securing your property and takes great effort on your part.

23. It was really helpful when you mentioned that I can ask other lawyers that I know regarding their recommendations if ever I need one to help with my divorce case. Actually, I never needed the help of a lawyer before, but I think I know someone who does, and she needed her for a patent case. Maybe I can ask that person to make a recommendation because I really need a lawyer for when I file a divorce against my wife. Thank you. I’ll give that a try.

24. Ashley Turns 9 months ago

I appreciate your suggestion to find an attorney that specializes in the area you need help in so that you can be sure they have the most knowledge about it. My cousin is getting divorced from his wife, so he is wondering how to find the best lawyer to help him win his case. I will be sure to tell my cousin that he should focus his search for an attorney on those that specialize in divorce so that he can be sure he is getting the best help.

25. Raymond Cooper 4 months ago

I appreciated the tips you gave for finding a divorce lawyer. My friend is about to go through a divorce, so your tips could prove really useful for him. I’ll let him know that you suggest he start looking for a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure he has the time to thoroughly vet the prospective lawyer before hiring them.

26. Frank Delaware 3 months ago

A friend of mine has been fighting with his wife a lot lately, and we were curious about how they would hire a lawyer should something happen. I really like that you say to find out how long they have been working in the family law business. I know that I would love to hear about past cases and how they turned out.