The National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP), with support of Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Partners has committed itself to universal coverage for all malaria interventions as the optimal approach to malaria control. The Malaria Strategic Plan 2009-2013 thus expands the programmatic focus from the vulnerable to the entire population at risk. The major interventions adopted for malaria control in Nigeria include ensuring that:
- All individuals, especially vulnerable groups, have access to appropriate treatment within 24 hours of onset of symptoms;
- All individuals, especially vulnerable groups sleep inside Insecticide Treated Nets/long lasting Insecticide-treated Nets.
The target of the NCMP is to ensure that at least 80% coverage of these interventions accomplished by 2010 is sustained. This would be achieved through provision of anti-malaria commodities to Public Health Institutions and not-for-profit Health Organizations for the implementation of these interventions. Several funding partners, including the Global Fund to fight AIDs, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM)contribute towards the achievement of the NMCP’s goals through articulated support to agreed programme areas.
The NMCP is one of the Principal Recipients implementing the Global Fund Round 8 Malaria Grant in Nigeria. Under the Phase 2 of the grant, which commenced in November 2011, the objective is to contribute to the rapid and sustained scale up of Malaria Control interventions for impact and intensifying Malaria control interventions towards universal access in Nigeria. The project is focused on
the creation, development and expansion of government-private partnership and strengthens the participation of communities and peoples in malaria control interventions. The Global Fund Round 8 Phase 2 Malaria Project is implemented in 30 States including the F.C.T.
The Federal Ministry of Health in collaboration with the Country Coordinating Mechanism (CCM) and the Global Fund has decided to reposition NMCP to be more responsive to the implementation of the Grant for optimal impact. To this end, vacancies now exist at NMCP for the following position:
Job Position: Project Accountant (GF)
Reporting: To the Head of Finance
- The Project Accountant will play a pivotal role in the establishment and proper maintenance of the finance and accounting system of the project in accordance with the policies and procedures of the NMCP and the Global Fund.
Duties and Responsibilities
a.) Grants Management
- Review the retirements of advances of staff for training, M&E etc. to ensure that advances are retired with acceptable documentations and vouchers, and also follow up on staff advances to ensure timely retirement including necessary refund of unused fund;
- Manage all project assets and stock items, ensuring satisfactory level of accountability and internal control at all times;
- Maintain asset register, and ensuring that insurance/policies on Assets are paid as and when due;
- Ensure that grant documentation and filing procedures (including effective filing of hard copies and effective back up system) are implemented and an uptodate file is maintained for each SR with timely inclusion of all relevant documents, including copies of communication/disbursement records;
- Provide support for both internal and external audit processes of the project and follow up on audit findings and recommendations;
- Support in designing, installing, implementing and maintaining adequate accounting and internal control systems;
- Maintain working relationship with banks to ensure timely banking transactions;
- Ensure compliance with NMCP and GF policies and procedures, systems and practices;
- Prepare work plan and budget/forecast for the grant and oversee monitoring of all budgets on a continuous basis;
- Ensure that Sub Recipients (SRs) submit their financial reports on a timely basis and review transactions for compliance with the work plan/budget and GF policies and procedures, ensuring that expenses are properly approve and recorded in the correct cost category.
- Continuously review and assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the financial management policies, procedures and processes and identify improvement where necessary;
- Ensure that financial issues raised in all management letters from the Global Fund are resolved expeditiously;
- Ensure that funds are disbursed to the SRs on a timely and efficient manner considering the fulfillment of conditions precedent to disbursement by SRs.
b.) Financial management/Accounting Entries
- Supervise the Account Assistant(s) on the following duties:
i.) Preparation of receipts, payment vouchers and cheques and follow up for necessary approval/signature;
ii.) Posting on daily basis, financial transactions data into SAGE (computerized accounting software);
iii.) Keeping accurate record of all books of accounts and ensuring that all accounting records are consistent with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coding of various payment vouchers to facilitate recording in the SAGE Accounting software;
- Provide quality control checks on the SAGE entries to ensuring that valid input data are entered into the accounting systems, and all financial transactions are appropriately processed, using the correct accounting codes;
- Take a lead in the monthly closure of accounts within required deadlines;
- Prepare necessary audit schedules including Trial balance, details of fixed assets etc for the conduct of the annual audits by the NMCP’s external auditors;
- Maintain accurate cashbooks for all the bank accounts;
- Manage petty cash and ensure that all expenses have supporting documentation attached to ensure accountability of the funds;
- Support management of vendor relationships, pay bills and invoices in a timely manner.
- Prepare accurate, regular and timely financial reports of the project to management for planning and
decision making. These include:
i.) Monthly bank reconciliation statements;
ii.) Monthly financial transactions/expenditure reports, staff and consultants advance status reports;
iii.) Monthly budget tracking analysis, determining the variance analysis and work with Program team to provide the reasons for the variance.
- Prepare quality Progress Update and Disbursement Requests (PUDRs) and other reports to Global Fund.
d.) Technical Assistance
- Periodically visit implementing partners (SRs) and provide training and TA in the areas of Finance and Grant Management;
- Ensure implementing partners (SRs)have a dear work plan and budget;
- Guide and support Sub Recipients’ accountants and other staff to ensure GF financial management standards are upheld.
- Perform any other work that may be assigned by the Head of Finance.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelors degree in accounting, business or finance.
- ICAN or equivalent degree (CA, CPA, ACCA) strongly recommended.
- A minimum of 7 years non-profit accounting and grants management experience.
- Understanding of GF policies and procedures would be viewed favourably.
- Excellent experience of budgeting and budget management.
- Excellent understanding of financial systems and procedures.
- Enthusiastic and self motivated but works well in teams.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent experience of computerized accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to operate effectively within a constantly changing environment.
Application Closing Date
6th September, 2013
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a Letter of intent, highlighting the required attributes with CV to:
The National Coordinator,
National Malaria Control Programme
Or Email: email@example.com
- Submissions without a subject title will NOT be processed.
- All applications must be received by Friday, 6th September 2013.
- Interviews will commence thereafter with a view to engaging the best candidates immediately.
- Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted for further assessment/interviews.