British Council – The Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme (NSRP) aims to reduce the incidences of violent conflict in Nigeria’s most troubled regions. It is a large and complex programme which is working with Nigerian stakeholders to make conflict management processes more inclusive and accountable, help mitigate some of the key drivers of violent conflict, and develop the role of Nigerian women and girls in peace-building efforts. The programme started in 2012 for a five year period and has a budget of £30m. The programme is managed by the British Council in partnership with International Alert and Social Development Direct. The British Council bring extensive and established networks of influence in Nigeria. International Alert and Social Development Direct are leaders in the fields of peacebuilding and social inclusion respectively.
Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme is looking for suitable candidates for the vacant position:
Job Title: Programme Manager
Location: Abuja 3 year fixed term contract
Pay Band: under review
We are looking for an experienced Programme Manager with the skills, knowledge and drive to manage an ambitious, high profile programme for our client, the UK Department for International Development (DFID). Copied: www.hotnigerianjobs.com
From an Abuja base the Programme Manager leads a team of 40 staff working across 8 northern and delta states, and is accountable for delivering a challenging set of results for a demanding client. The successful candidate will have substantial experience of successfully leading teams to deliver complex programmes in the peacebuilding and conflict prevention, security and justice, or governance sectors. As well as holding a relevant postgraduate qualification he or she will have the professional credibility and relationship building skills to influence at the highest level, and an exceptional aptitude for strategic thinking within a politically and conflict sensitive environment.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience Sector Knowledge
- Demonstrable comprehensive understanding of one or more appropriate sectors – peace & conflict prevention (including role of women in peacebuilding and responses to VAWG), security & justice, and / or governance
- Practical familiarity with political economy analysis and conflict assessment approaches
- Knowledge and practical application of conflict sensitive programming approaches
- Proven record of working as a Programme Manager / Team Leader in donor-funded peace & conflict prevention, security & justice or governance programmes
- Proven expertise in the management of donor M&E and reporting frameworks
- Evidence of financial management and / or oversight of complex multi-annual budgets
- Demonstrate previous experience of managing risk and security policy in a conflict affected environment.
- Undertakes business risk identification (technical, political, conflict and financial) and analysis for specific initiatives. Uses this to inform approach and manage risk
- Ability to identify, build and manage relationships with state and non-state actors at the highest level for strategic gain.
- Ability to actively lobby and win support behind the scenes, using diplomacy and politically awareness. Copied: www.hotnigerianjobs.com
- Excellent communication skills, including a very good knowledge (verbal and written) of English, with advanced presentation, persuasion and negotiation skills
- Minimum 10 years experience in peace & conflict prevention, security & justice or governance sectors of which at least 5 years in a senior management & leadership capacity
- Minimum 5 years management experience specifically in the design and implementation of complex multi-component programmes in peace & conflict prevention, security & justice or governance sectors
- Minimum of 3 years experience of living and working in conflict affected or fragile state environment
- Postgraduate degree in development, conflict, international relations or related discipline
Application Closing Date:
9th September 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should
Click here to apply online