There are many car owners who do not know when they require a mechanic and when they need an auto electrician. Typically, both are different aspects of auto collision jobs. If you want a good and reliable auto electrician work on your car then you will not only have to choose the best one from a number of electricians but will also need to know what they usually do in their profession. Such knowledge of yours will help you to verify whether the person has worked on your car properly and all the aspects are covered.
Services of an Auto Electrician
If you want to know about the difference in jobs, go through the following list of services provided by an auto electrician.
- You will find an auto electrician in service centers as well as in dealer workshops. They are well abreast with the complex features of electronic components and all other accessories in a car.
- They will perform overall electronic diagnostics, using multi meters, oscilloscopes and other specific software scan tools.
- Their job involves diagnosing and repairing everything from ignition and fuel injection, engine management to charging systems, anti-lock braking and battery, wiring and heating and air conditioning systems, indicators and lighting, in-car entertainment systems and vehicle navigation and information systems.
- Apart from diagnosis and repairs, the auto electricians will also discuss problems with you after carrying out the necessary tests. They will make sure that the right process and tools are used to ensure all electrical systems in your car are operating correctly.
- Most importantly, if you wish to tow a motor or trailer home, the auto electrician will modify the electrical system of the vehicle to facilitate it.
- They will check the light alignment and luminosity and also repair expensive computerized components. If they cannot they will advise you for a replacement and help you to find the best product.
- Installation of new and repaired parts is one of their primary jobs whether it is a GPS navigation system or an integrated alarm system.
- Diagnose and replace faulty batteries, alternators and starter motors.
- Tuning your engine to increase fuel economy and reducing emissions.
- Test and repair of the ignition system and electronic fuel injection.
- Diagnose and repair fuel lamps and other fuel system components.
- Apart from that, an auto electrician will also do custom jobs such as installing and fixing accessories like CB radios, lights and alarm systems, installing sensors, new sound systems, and rear vision cameras.
Things to Look For
As it is evident from the above, the job of an auto electrician is complex, diverse and important for the proper functionality and operation of your car. Hence it is important that you do not vest your car on anyone who claims to be the best. Since it is your hard earned money you must make sure that your car is in safe hands. You will need to look into the essential features and attributes that will separate the best auto electrician from the rest.
- Always check documentary proofs of the qualification and training of the technician. It is preferable that the auto electrician undergoes advanced training given the fact that modern cars have complex electronic features.
- Experience an area of specialization is another important thing to know about the auto electrician. The person must have enough hands-on experience so that you get a better job and result.
- It is preferable but not mandatory for the electrician to have mechanical knowledge but there must be hands cooperation with the mechanical service team as issues can be either or both electrical or mechanical.
Lastly, consider the warranty and guarantee of service by the auto electrician to finalize eventually.