Air conditioning is commonly referred to as AC or A/C. Basically, it is the process of adding comfort by removing moisture and heat from the inner spaces of a building or home. ACs are commonly used in both domestic and commercial areas for the purpose of maintaining a comfortable environment. Air conditioners enhance the indoor air quality and comfort of a room.
You need to make sure that the installation process, as well as the maintenance process of an AC, should be cost-effective. After all, the costs can be higher, especially in sites and locations where one needs regular air conditioning day and night. There are areas where temps and humidity remain high constantly through much the year. It is seen that air conditioning costs make for almost 50% of the monthly utility bills. So, how does one keep the costs under control and make the whole system cost-effective?
However, there are ways to control the costs, and all you need to do is be aware of those smarter solutions. After all, the AC needs to work smarter and not harder to keep those temperatures as well as bills down. Here are a few tips for a lower Air conditioning bill.
- Get an Efficient Air Conditioning System Installed– The first step, of course, is to start with the right planning and designing of the system to make it cost-efficient. An unsuitable AC is sure going to cost you more as it will operate inefficiently. Effective designing and regular maintenance will ensure that it works at its maximum capacity and cost-effectively.
- Keep the Room Covered with Blinds and Curtains – It is a good idea to keep the interiors cool with blinds and curtains to keep the sun out. This is essential for those areas where one gets lots of sun , especially in the afternoon. Keeping the room darker and cooler means lesser stress on the AC and lower bills.
- Get a Programmable Thermostat installed– Another way to keep the air conditioning at optimum levels is to get a programmable thermostat. The rooms should be cooled only when needed. It is easy to get a Programmable Thermostat installed and control the room temp with your smartphone based on your preferences. An efficient temperature monitoring can control unnecessary air conditioning as well as the bills.
- Go for Better Insulation for The Rooms– If the house is not well insulated, it means extra work for the AC. So, it is essential to check if the house, its doors, and windows are properly insulated. After all, if all the cooled air is leaking out, you are wasting the efforts of your AC. So, raise the quality of insulation in your home for cost-effective air conditioning.
- Change the Filters of The AC Unit– Based on the manufacturer’s suggestions and the stress on the AC, one should get the filters changed. Regular filter cleaning and change can ensure that the AC system works efficiently. After all, a clogged filter means a higher strain on the AC unit and higher bills.
- Create Shadows and Shade for Your Home– It is a good idea to plant trees around your home, especially for the rooms that receive direct sun. The trees do not only help the environment but create shade for the house and keep it cooler. If your AC unit is shaded, one can lower the electric bill by about 10%, as per the U.S. Department of Energy report.
Get your AC unit and functioning cheeked by a professional to ensure that the system is working efficiently. Schedule a check-up every six months or as and when needed for efficient air conditioning.